OPSA (the Orleans Park School Association) is the parent-teacher association of Orleans Park; it is your association.
OPSA plays an important part in the life of the school. It gives parents/carers the opportunity to network and mix socially with other parents; it allows parents the opportunity to get updates on what is happening at school; and it raises significant funds to help our children’s learning.
OPSA holds half-termly meetings at 7.30pm in the school library. The Headteacher and Chair of Governors always attend to give a school update and are very happy to answer questions.
Fundraising is an important part of OPSA’s role, especially now with schools increasingly having to supplement their allocated budget to provide complementary resources. OPSA’s funds comes from two sources:
• The School Fund, to which all parents are asked to contribute a set amount, either annually, monthly or termly, is held under by OPSA and administered by it and school managers and representatives from the Governing body. The suggested annual voluntary contribution from parents is £120 per pupil.
• OPSA also raises money directly. Current fundraising activities include very successful Comedy and Quiz Nights and providing refreshments for school events, such as the Christmas concert. However, the main source of funds comes from organising car parking on the school playground for home internationals and other major rugby fixtures at Twickenham stadium.
What we spend the money on
Last year, money raised by OPSA, along with School Fund money, provided the following for the school:
· Complete refurbishment of room 2 with a set of new computers and software with the capacity to teach ICT and media studies (over £18K)
· Playground improvements
· Trees and benches in the lower playground
· Contribution to the updating of the school website
· New large screens and full IT capacity for the Sports Hall (including sound)
· Contribution to extra-curricular music costs (music teachers to run the Jazz and Soul Bands and the singing group)
· Contributions to the costs of the Year 11 Prom and leavers’ lunch
· Funding the book vouchers for individual winners at the annual Prizegiving
· Providing resources for the Miniature Model Club
· Providing team sports kit for the PE department
· Funding money for prizes for the Photography Competition and maths activities and challenges
· Buying essential equipment for the Duke of Edinburgh scheme (Trangia stoves etc)
· Funding the costs of visiting speakers in PSHCEE and English
· Buying new music equipment for curriculum use
· Framed art work for the main drama studio
· Providing the refreshments for various school events (art show, creative arts celebration, concerts).
Ways in which you can help
As a parent you can:
- Attend OPSA meetings whenever you can – they are advertised on the website and in the school newletter and everyone is very welcome.
- Even if you can’t come to meetings, you can always help at events – regularly or as a one-off. Rugby parking is always in need of stewards, and more hands serving refreshments at school events are always welcome. Look out for the call in the OPSA column of the weekly school newsletters and for updates on OPSA’s website